New Mass Schedule
To meet the requirements to open we needed to change our Mass times.
Our new schedule (subject to change) is:
Saturday Vigil: 5:00 P.M.
Sunday: 7:30 A.M.; 9:30 A.M.; 11:30 A.M.
Monday: 7:00 A.M.
Tuesday: 9:00 A.M.
Wednesday: 7:00 A. M.
Thursday: 9:00 A.M.
Friday: 9:00 A. M.
Since the Faithful remain dispensed from the Sunday Obligation you may attend any of the above listed Masses.
MASSES HAVE STARTED
We are subject to size limitations,(33%) so a sign-up process is necessary. This will occur via an on-line invitation, which you will receive by email (provided we have your email on file), from our website using the sign up button below or via the parish's Facebook page. Please sign up as soon as you can. If you cannot access the sign-up application or if you prefer, you may sign up by calling the parish office at (315) 469-6995, indicating the date and time that you choose.
We will follow recommended guidelines that allow us to gather together, such as social distancing, seating limitations, using hand sanitizer and wearing a mask during the liturgy. Thank you for your patience and flexibility. I pray that you will find the richness of the Eucharistic celebration worth the necessary health and safety precautions that we must follow.
For those who can attend, we are overjoyed to be able to celebrate the sacred liturgy with you and to see you again. For those who cannot, we continue to hold you and all our faith community in our prayers. Please contact us if we may assist you.
Please refer to our Facebook Page and check back on our website and smsp-yourth.org for the latest updates. Additionally, subscribe to our e-bulletin, so that you can stay connected.
We are excited to be able to resume public worship at The Church of St. Michael & St. Peter and throughout the Diocese of Syracuse.
Prayers and Peace,
Father Henry J. Pedzich
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) teaches that “participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church” (CCC, no. 2182).
“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life: whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me, will never thirst” – John 6:35
The “source and summit of Christian life” is the Eucharist. To resume celebration of the mass at The Church of St. Michael and St. Peter we will include procedures to comply with federal, state, municipal and Diocesan guidance. In doing so, our primary objective will be to maintain the sanctity of the mass and the needs of our community.
Ensuring the health and safety of all our parish family and visitors is our most important responsibility. As we continue to monitor the impacts of COVID-19 closely, we will follow federal, state local and diocesan directives and recommendations. We need to consider how best to manage the spread of COVID-19 and lower the impact in our community. This includes activities in one or more of the following areas:
- reduce risk of transmission among parishioners attending mass
- maintain healthy parish operations
- maintain a healthy environment that supports joy of the liturgical and sacramental celebrations
General Guidance for Parishioners
- We require that any parishioner or visitor comply with federal, state and local guidelines and postpone any plans to visit the church if within the last 14 days if they:
- Have been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Have traveled internationally in the past 14 days.
- Have been exposed to an individual diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Have had close contact with a person suspected of direct exposure to COVID-19.
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well, particularly individuals at increased risk of severe illness.
- Parishioners who have signs and symptoms per CDC – (fever, cough, or shortness of breath) should stay home.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing, maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet) from others.
- Wear a mask, covering nose and mouth, when in public gathering in and around the church buildings.
- Mass Times – 33% capacity-- modified weekend mass schedule, as follows:
- Sat. 5:00, Sun. 7:30, 9:30, 11:30
- Weekday Mass Times – modified weekday mass schedule, as follows:
- Mon. 7:00 am, Tues. 9:00 am, Wed. 7:00 am, Thur. 9:00
- Mass Attendance – administered directly on-line (via email invite, parish website, or parish facebook page) or by contacting the parish office to request a time to attend.
- Cleaning – seating and all public areas wiped down/sprayed after each mass with appropriate disinfectant
- Entrances/Exits – we will only use the main, handicap accessible, front entrance.
- Seating Availability – every third pew will be available to allow for proper distancing. Individual pews will be limited to 3-4 people per pew, unless families from same households are sitting together.
- Overflow seating will also be available in church basement, with seating provided with appropriate social distancing.
- Procession and Recession – to be done directly from side entrance/sacristy
- Reception of Communion – follow directives provided by Diocese, including:
- Recommend to faithful to sanitize their hands, if possible, prior to reception of communion
- Eucharist only, in hand.
- Communion procession one side of church at a time, lining up with appropriate distancing (ushers will assist).
- Offertory Gifts – put table at front of church. No offertory initially from congregation.
- Music Ministry – will continue with cantor and scale up to full choir, when allowable.
- Lectors – assign and/or get volunteer for one lector / mass
- Eucharistic Ministers – 2 Eucharistic Ministers, including priest and/or deacon. Volunteer, as needed
- Servers – initially hold on assignment of altar servers
- Ushers/Seating Assistance – 2-4 ushers assigned on a volunteer basis.
- Hymnals and Missalettes – removed from pews. Song sheets and/or readings distributions may be provided at a later date.
Featured snippet from the web
- Holy Water – none during this time
- Offertory – offertory box to be left at back of church and collected at end of each mass
- Penance – this sacrament will be provided by appointment.
- Other Services (Baptisms, Funerals, Weddings, Adoration, etc.) – scheduled using guidance provided above.